Monday, March 26, 2007

Pesto Parties

(photo: Paul's heavenly cilantro pesto)
(7:45 PM) Well, I had a whirlwind of a weekend. I went to bed very late Friday night, got only two hours of sleep (!!! Audry, girl! What is going on?) but managed to have a very busy and beautiful Saturday morning at the market. I've had some more strange food reactions this weekend. Saturday morning around 8 or 9 I had two oranges. I started getting that feeling again of not digesting after that, so I didn't have anything else for a while. I actually had a very breif spell of nausea around noon, but it passed very quickly. This has never happened to me before just from eating a few oranges...very mysterious... I had my usual salad around 2:30. Then I drove out to Lake Fausse State Park to spend some time with the Louisiana Himalaya Association folks and get in some good nature-time. I went for a canoe ride with a friend right after I arrived. It was sooooooo nice. I was proud of myself for getting in a boat since I am afraid of the water. It was definitely worth it. In fact, I enjoyed myself so much, that the next morning I got really brave and took a kayak out onto the bayou by myself. This was a huge first for me. I had such a great time in the water by myself, I wanted to stay out there all day. But I also didn't want to miss the TVP - Totally Vegan Potluck back in New Orleans. So I went home, threw together some coconut/cumin dip and drove out to the potluck which was outdoors right next to a small lake/pond. To get back to food, on Saturday night, I had 2 large carrots dipped in a good bit of homemade parsley pesto. I probably had 8 oz or more of pesto! I didn't use oodles of olive oil, though, so it wasn't as heavy as it could have been. It was more like a green dip. It was delicious! When I made the pesto a few days back, I had to, of course, make sure none of the pesto sticking to the sides of the blender went to waste:

On Sunday, I ate two oranges around noon. Got very full again. I had two more oranges while I was at the vegan potluck. Once again, it was easy not to eat the food. I appreciated it very much, it was all beautiful and made with love and skill, but I was not tempted to eat it. Then when I got home around 8 I had a large salad, the usual, and 1 1/2 stalks of celery with Paul's cilantro pesto. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I had 2 servings of my cacao concoction later on, and then crashed around 11 from exhaustion. I woke up this morning around 9 and had three oranges sometime after noon. I ate them slowly and my body felt good after each of them. Around 2 I had my usual salad and 1/2 avocado with 1/2 container of Nur's leeks. Around 5 I had 20 oz of honey-sweetened decaf green tea and two serving of my cacao concoction. All in all, I had a fantastic weekend, but I am ready to slow down a little more and be back at home again, taking care of my work, and working on my new projects, ideas and garden.


Gena said...

Oh that pesto is making me Drooool! Yum! Kyaking! How much fun :o) That's something I want to learn to do!

Audry said...

Yay! Congratulations to me and you: you are the first person to leave comments on my blog! I have been planting some neat herbs lately and I have full intentions of putting them in tons of homemade pestos that I plan to make soon. I didn't actually go kayaking, it was more like canoeing in a kayak. It was extremely tranquil and stimulating all at the same time:)